Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hard Day for Tomatoes


Ugh!  I lost a tomato.  It was one that was almost ripe.  Something bit into it.  It was one that was under the netting even.  *sigh* Well, I went ahead and picked the other two that were in a cluster with it even though they weren't quite ripe and plan to let them ripen inside.  I know the picture looks ripe, but they are a bit more orangish than they look in the picture.  If you look at them from the other side, you can see that they aren't quite ripe:
I didn't realize the one was as green as it was until it was picked because that was on the underside.  I hope it will continue to ripen.  These 3 tomatoes were the only ones that were close to being ripe. :(  Here is the next closest:
It's going to be a long time before we have more tomatoes!  lol!!  So those other 2 need to finish ripen and need to taste as delicious as I know they can!

this post links up to: Oh, My How Your Garden Grows! 


5 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn. I wanted to return the blog visit and thank you for your nice comment on mine. Your tomatoes look great! I hadn't thought about netting over them, but sounds like a good idea to protect them against birds. I've started picking most of mine before they are completely ripe too. I'm finding they ripen quickly in the house and taste just as good, but with no bird pecks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes are further along than mine! Mine are still little and green. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting! Your tomato will definitely continue to ripen after picked. Here in the Memphis area our first frost date is October 15, and we will usually have a threat of a killing frost sometime in October or November -- so the day before the expected freeze I will pick all the green tomatoes, and whatever I don't use to make fried green tomatoes (of course!) or green tomato chutney, will ripen on the counter and we will sometimes have homegrown ripe tomatoes for Thanksgiving or even Christmas. My garden seems to be in hiatus due to the extreme heat here now, except for okra and green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Your tomatoes should ripen just fine on your countertop, and taste just as delicious as they would if you let them ripen on the vine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tomatoes look wonderful! Just right for making a tomato and lettuce sandwich! Ellen

    ReplyDelete