Sunday, March 11, 2012

Planting and Starting

(Transplants)

Today was absolutely beautiful!!!  It got to a high of about 67 degrees and was bright and sunny.  I was out in the garden for a few hours today (and got a bit of a sunburn!).  I still am not really seeing sprouts from the stuff that was planted on February 27th, but I was seeing some signs that there may be some soon (unless what I am seeing is possible weeds. lol!!!).  I am really hopeful that something may sprout in the next few days since we are going to have some really warm weather.

Today, I got a few more things planted.  I really wanted to get them in the ground since rain is in the forecast overnight and the next 10 days are forecasted to be in the 60s and 70s.  Today I planted cabbage, cauliflower,  broccoli, onions, leeks and celery.

I also transplanted the leeks and onions that I started indoors.  They probably will not survive, but I figured I would give it a shot.  They seemed to be really weak due to the poor indoor light that we have.  Most of the starts I am not even bothering with trying to transplant (they are very spindly), but I figured I would try with the onions and leeks.  So I did that today.  I also planted seeds in the same squares, so if when they don't survive, I will have back up ones growing.  I figure the onions if there are too many can always be used as green onions.

I got my peppers started.  I tried to start these indoors a few weeks ago, but now some of them developed this white stuff on the soil that then turned clay color.  Not sure what is going on with that but it looks really weird!  So I started new plants today and put them in the greenhouse to start.  If the weather stays like it is, it should be plenty warm in there for them.



I added a bit of Kelp fertilizer to the leeks, onions, carrots, lettuce, and radishes today, just a bit to try to get them get going.  I need to search out some other organic fertilizers, but I need to find the time for it. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week in the garden! I know this is not exactly a harvest, but hopefully soon I will have one to show off! :)  This post is linked to Harvest Monday (Yeah, a bit of wishful thinking!! lol!!!)

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are really organised and ready for the warmer weather. I really need to start thinking about how my garden is going to look this winter as its already March and I'm feeling a bit behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been having really unseasonably warm weather recently. The typical temp for our area is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit this time of year, but we have been in the 60's (F) and are suppose to get to the 70's (F). This is really strange for us. It is giving me a false urgency to get my planting done, that is why I seem "organized". If it was a typically year, I probably would still be thinking, "oh well, it's winter I have a few more months... ooops!" lol!!!! I tend to let things sneak up on me, but the weather this year isn't letting me. :)

      Lynn

      Delete
  2. whitish stuff on the soil/plants could be a fungus caused by being too warm and wet and not enough light. Lower the temp, get some fresh air, get more light.

    I use 4 foot shop lights and have the bulbs nearly touching the tops of the plants. They are on timers about 16 hours a day. That is barely enough light, they still look a bit drawn but do better once I can put them out in the green house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, thank you so much for your information! The conditions that you described, fit perfectly, that is probably it. Thank you! Unfortunately, I am pretty much out of money for this year. lol!!! So I probably will not be able to fix the problem until next year. Luckily, it is unseasonably warm here this year, so hopefully the greenhouse and cold frame will work for my starts. I will need to fix the problem before next year, since I doubt we will be so lucky to have 2 beautiful springs in a row. Thank you for your suggestions. I will check into that to see what I can do.

      Lynn

      Delete
  3. I have tried starting onions from seed before and it never seemed to work for me so I just by the little bulbs now.
    Your peppers look pretty good, the ones without the fungus growing ont hem anyway.
    Will be watching to see how things do for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been unseasonably warm where we are in the Middle Atlantic. We finished pruning the fruit trees this past weekend. Haven't touched the vegetable garden yet. We'll be planting snap peas this weekend if the weather cooperates though they're calling for rain.

    ReplyDelete