Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sprouts! Sprouts! Sprouts!


Well, it rained most of the day yesterday, so I did not get out to the garden.  Today, was beautiful!  It got to 72 degrees and was bright and sunny, so of course, I headed out to the garden.  I was so happy to see that that some of the stuff from my February 27th planting is finally sprouting. :) This picture is of my lettuce mix.  Yes, those spots are tiny sprouts. lol!!!  Also my Easter Egg radishes are starting to sprout and I think I have 1 Parade onion sprout.  I am still waiting on my carrots to sprout. 

On the down side, something (not sure what) got into my garden last night and really went to town on the dirt. Grrrrr!  Whatever it was dug a lot of holes in my garden space.  *sigh* I tried to fix it the best I could and replant any spaces that were disturbed. 
You can't see it real well in the picture but there was a lot of digging!  Hubby and I are still trying to decide how we are going to solve this critter problem. I'm open to suggestions.

In my last post I mentioned transplanting some onions and leeks that I didn't think would survive.  That was 2 days ago.  Several of the transplants are still holding their own and some are even looking a bit stronger so maybe some of them will survive after all.  That would be cool. 

Mary Hysong told me what was probably going on with my indoor starts that developed a grayish film on the soil.  She said it was probably a fungus. Ewwwww... She suggested getting them light and fresh air.  So I took the ones that looked the most likely to survive out to the greenhouse and left the door open during the day (Closed it for the night).  I'll open it back up tomorrow since it's going to be in the 70's again.  Hopefully, I got to them in time and can save them.  If it get worse, I'll just have to start them all over. 

Today, besides fixing the holes in my garden and replanting, I also planted some more Parade onions, more Easter Egg Radishes, a container of Tonda di Parigi Carrots and a container of baby greens (mix).

Also, my little garden partner (my 9 year old son) was sick today. :(  I felt so bad that he couldn't be out enjoying the fresh air.  I hope he gets better soon.  It is lonely out there by myself.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't the blogging community great? How wonderful that a fellow garden blogger could tell you what was up with your indoor starts.

    I am sorry your son was sick. Having my kids in the garden with me is one of the joys of gardening. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulation with sprouts!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope your little one will be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your sprouts will probably be alright. Digging could be most anything; cats, skunks, birds, 'possums, even dogs. Lay some chicken wire over the bed until things are up about 6 inches; that will keep out most things. My worst pests digging are birds and the neighbors cats. Occasionally the skunks come looking for worms. Dogs can be bad, especially if you've added blood or bone meal; they are looking for the phantom bone or bloody carcass ;-)

    ReplyDelete